When we want to explain quickly what re-targeting is to someone that hasn’t heard about it in its life we tend to tell them this:
“are those ads that follow you when you have been looking for something on the Internet”
Of course, it isn’t the most elegant or exact way to explain it. But it sure is a good way to start.
What is retargeting: a definition.
Re-targeting is a technique of digital marketing that consists in impact with publicity to users that had interacted previously with us. This may mean that they have visited our website, opened an email or simply made click in a certain link in some cyberspace location. For example in a forum.
The re-targeting concept is really ample, constantly changing and every time more complex. Most of the definitions you will find on the Internet refer exclusively to site re-targeting. but the textbook definition would be something along the lines of:
“Re-targeting (or re-targeting) – is the usage of a pixel tag or any such code that allows for a third party to recognize concrete users outside of the dominion where this activity has been collected.”
What difference is there between re-targeting and re-marketing?
Now that we spoke about definitions, we must say that there exists no difference between re-targeting and re-marketing. The only thing that you need to explain is that re-marketing is what Google calls it and that the rest of humanity uses the word re-targeting. Which is why it’s important to say that Re-marketing IS Re-targeting!
What can retargeting do for me?
It’s been said a lot of times, but what’s most attractive of re-targeting is that it helps you recover 98% of the users that leave without making a conversion or buy. I use the word try intentionally because the difficulty of good re-targeting lies in its capacity to obtain the biggest percentage possible of all these users. It could be a 0.1% or maybe a 4% (which could be to triplicate the sales) by which more important than doing re-targeting is doing it well.
Besides from this, what else does re-targeting give us?
- An ROI of up to 300%
- Very specific branding without spending a lot of money
- A reinforcement on the marketing pipeline.
We would like to get deeper in this last point. Even though re-targeting is always seen as a performance-oriented technique, geared towards getting a direct conversion. We cannot forget it’s contribution in all their moments.
- Brand awareness. Let’s think that the majority of users that go around looking for something open many websites and only look information without caring which brand is behind there. Re-targeting gives us the opportunity of impacting the user throughout its entire buying life-cycle for when we go buying we are taken into account.
- Consideration. Besides winning conversions re-targeting is a good assistant towards buying consideration of our product (not only our brand). This is particularly true in long buying cycles.
- Conversion. The strong point in re-targeting. many times we get a lead or we close a sale thanks to an offer expressly ideated for that channel. A typical case is the rescue of shopping cars thrown in an e-commerce.
- Fidelization. We can sell complementary products, foment the return of the clients or even strengthen the effect of our newsletters with e-mail re-targeting.
- Advocacy. You can use re-targeting in social networks to show relevant and viral content to our users in a medium where it’s a lot more probable for them to share our messages. It’s not very usual to do it but completely feasible and common in the bigger brands.
Did you know? your online reputation is becoming critical
81% of consumers say their #1 source of local business information is a search engine or online business directory! There are dozens and dozens of sites that people rely on. When your business information is missing or incorrect on just one of those sites, you’re guaranteed to lose business.
With Reputation Management, you’ll see which sites you need to be on, along with the accuracy of those listings. Put your time and effort where you’ll see the best return—know which listings to create or fix to help people find you online. Start with a FREE Assessment!